Monday, 23 February 2009

Ok, Enough Procrastination!!!

I've been putting this off for long enough. Here's another pattern for anyone who wants it. Again, feel free to use it for whatever you want, but please link back to my blog for the pattern. Ta much!

Heard it Through the Grapevine...

I wanted to create something a little different, and to have a go at designing a sock pattern. There are so many out there, but now there’s a little bit of me too. This was made for a fellow Raveller who visited me from Australia, and while she was here she bought me some pretty sock yarn. I wanted to do something especially for her as well. This is a pattern for those sock knitters out there who have some experience; I won’t be detailing stuff like heel flaps and heel turns. Use whatever heel flap, heel turn and toe are your favourites.

You will need:

Size 2.5mm needles. I’ve written this pattern for magic loop.
100gm of fingering weight sock yarn. I’ve used Opal Uni, but it would work with any other. I would recommend something that’s either plain coloured or semi-solid so that you can see the lace pattern.

CO 64 sts. (The stitches down either side of the sock are in stockinette, so if your foot is bigger than average, add extra sts in increments of 4). Join for working in the round, being careful not to twist your stitches. (32 sts per needle).

Work in 2x2 rib (or 1x1 if you prefer). I don’t particularly enjoy ribbing so I usually don’t do more than 1 ¼ inches but it’s entirely up to you.

The Pattern:

Rnd 1 – *K6, p2, k9, yo, k1, yo, k3, sl 1, k2tog, psso, p2, k6. Rep from * to end.

Rnds 2, 4, 6, 8, 10, 12 – K all sts.

Rnd 3 - *K6, p2, k10, yo, k1, yo, k2, sl 1, k2tog, psso, p2, k6. Rep from * to end.

Rnd 5 - *K6, p2, k3tog, k4, yo, k1, yo, k3, [yo, k1] twice, sl 1, k2tog, psso, p2, k6. Rep from * to end.

Rnd 7 - *K6, p2, k3tog, k3, yo, k1, yo, k9, p2, k6. Rep from * to end.

Rnd 9 - *K6, p2, k3tog, k2, yo, k1, yo, k10, p2, k6. Rep from * to end.

Rnd 11 - *K6, p2, k3tog, [k1, yo] twice, k3, yo, k1, yo, k4, sl 1, k2tog, psso, p2, k6. Rep from * to end.

*** On rnd 11 of the last pattern repeat for the cuff, knit as written for the front of the sock, but on the back knit as follows: K6, p2, k3tog, [k1, yo] twice, k11, p2, k6.

Repeat these 12 rounds until your cuff is the desired length. I’ve done 4 pattern repeats for my sock cuffs, giving me a total of 5 inches for the cuff.

Work your chosen heel flap and heel turn, pick up your gusset stitches, and carry the pattern on down the top of the foot. When the foot is approximately 2 inches shorter than your foot, end with row 11 of the pattern ***K6, p2, k3tog, [k1, yo] twice, k11, p2, k6*** as for the back of the cuff.

Work your toe decreases, kitchener, and finish off. Now cast the other one on before Second Sock Syndrome kicks in!





2 comments:

Megan said...

Very pretty pattern! Thank you for providing it to us. I'm adding this to my Rav favorites.

Pixie said...

Thank you! Enjoy!